[ltp] Mini-PCI 802.11b on R40?

Mark Carroll linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 15 Sep 2003 11:04:19 -0400 (EDT)

I'm fed up of having a PCMCIA card's antenna sticking out of the side of
my R40 so I want to pop a mini-PCI card in instead that uses the
integrated antenna.

http://www-3.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/results/documentPrintableContent.vm?layout=templates/esupport/layouts/printLayout.vm
seems to describe the permitted adapters. I'm hoping that someone here has
mini-PCI working nicely and can recommend adapter and driver.

I'm currently using kernel 2.4.18 and it'd be great if I could just
compile the driver in instead of loading it as a module, but that's no big
deal.

I guess the main options are:

(a) Use an "approved" card. From the list, the only one I'm vaguely aware
has Linux drivers available is the "Cisco Aironet Wireless 802.11b". Do
they mean the 350 or something? I don't want to buy a card and have the
BIOS reject it because I bought slightly the wrong one. AFAIK the 350
mini-PCI Cisco card has some driver from Cisco available, and Ben Reed has
been working on one, both with good licences, but it's not clear to me how
good either of them are right now. Basically, can anyone suggest exactly
which card will work (Cisco or non-Cisco), and which driver?

(b) Flash the BIOS with a hacked image that isn't so picky about mini-PCI
wireless cards. Is anyone doing this?

Basically, any hints would be great; I'm having trouble figuring out
exactly what will work. When I finally have Linux working as I'd like on
the R40 I'll put up a web page describing exactly what I did.

-- Mark