[ltp] Mini-PCI 802.11b on R40?

Mark Carroll linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 17 Sep 2003 17:54:10 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003, Joel Ebel wrote:

> This is indeed a different card.  The madwifi driver SHOULD work with it
> as well, but for the thinkpad to accept it you'll need a BIOS update.
> the T40 has a BIOS update from sep. 11 that allows it's use.  I imagine
> there is a similar BIOS update for the R40.

Thanks to everyone for the help and the interesting discussion. The
31P9701 card (IBM 11a/b/g WLAN mini-PCI) is apparently good for my R40
(the 2681) and it's based on the Atheros 5212 or some other thing that the
MADWIFI driver should be able to deal with? I just want to be absolutely
sure before paying out $100. (-: At least, the online copy of the IBM user
manual for it describes the R40 as a machine you might be installing it
in, which is encouraging from the BIOS rejection point of view.

Also, is it possible to flash the R40's BIOS under Linux from an image
easily extracted from downloads from IBM website, or does one really need
to have Windows handy?

-- Mark