[ltp] Installing Linux on a TP40 (2373-75U)

Paul Kaplan linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 17 Sep 2003 21:37:48 -0400

Good news!
Partition Magic 8 was able to shrink the sole W2K NTFS 5 partition from 36Gb
to 10Gb.  (I think I could have gone even smaller, since PM reported that
there was only about 4.7 Gb of data.)  As far as I can tell when PM shrinks
it moves both the pagefile and, more importantly, the MFT mirror file, which,
by default is placed close to the middle of the partition.
It's a shame that ntfsresize doesn't have that ability.  It seems only to be
able to shrink to the end of the last sector containing $mftmirr.
Paul