[ltp] 380z running at 75Mhz

Erik Dooper linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
18 Sep 2003 11:14:36 +0200

--=-znolzQ32nh0pH9NXXnR8

Hi,

I've got a strange thing with my Thinkpad 380z. I installed Gentoo 1.4
on it, and after a while I found it to be quite sluggish. cat
/proc/cpuinfo revealed a Pentium II running at 75 MHz, instead of the
300 MHz I was expecting. It has been running at 300MHz, but at some
point it slowed down. I don't know when, I thought it was only the
unaccelerated X driver for the Neomagic video card that was sluggish,
and I never investigated (until now).
The BIOS setup tells me that the processor runs at 300 MHZ, but both
Gentoo and Knoppix report a 75Mhz clock speed.

Everything is working, the machine passes all BIOS tests and Linux runs
fine, but I do not know how to set the speed back to 300 MHz (if
possible). I dug through all documentation I could find at IBM, and on
the web, but there is no mention of any speed setting or BIOS option.

 Is my Thinkpad toast ?

Thanks,

Erik

--=-znolzQ32nh0pH9NXXnR8

<HTML>
<HEAD>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
Hi,<BR>
<BR>
I've got a strange thing with my Thinkpad 380z. I installed Gentoo 1.4 on it, and after a while I found it to be quite sluggish. cat /proc/cpuinfo revealed a Pentium II running at 75 MHz, instead of the 300 MHz I was expecting. It has been running at 300MHz, but at some point it slowed down. I don't know when, I thought it was only the unaccelerated X driver for the Neomagic video card that was sluggish, and I never investigated (until now).<BR>
The BIOS setup tells me that the processor runs at 300 MHZ, but both Gentoo and Knoppix report a 75Mhz clock speed.<BR>
<BR>
Everything is working, the machine passes all BIOS tests and Linux runs fine, but I do not know how to set the speed back to 300 MHz (if possible). I dug through all documentation I could find at IBM, and on the web, but there is no mention of any speed setting or BIOS option.<BR>
<BR>
 Is my Thinkpad toast ?<BR>
<BR>
Thanks,<BR>