[ltp] Thinkpad T40 screen goes dead under Red Hat 9 ..

Mark G. Spencer linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 22 Sep 2003 14:42:17 -0700

My company recently purchased three new Thinkpad T40's with the ATI =
Radeon
9000 video chipset.  I got lucky enough to score one.

A very aggravating problem has been found when running Red Hat Linux 9 =
on
these notebook computers.  The screens go into some kind of power saving
that we can never get them out of.  When running on battery it only =
takes
what seems like a few minutes of inactivity.  When running on AC power, =
it
takes longer to happen, but eventually the screens go dark.  As far as I =
can
tell, the hard drive and cpu are still operating, but the screen just =
goes
dark.

The screensaver power management functions are not enabled in Red Hat =
for
these machines, the default setting.  This behavior does not occur on =
these
Thinkpad T40 notebooks when running Windows XP Professional, and we do =
not
get this problem on any of our other make notebooks (Sony, Fujitsu, =
etc.)
when running Red Hat Linux 9.

I'm hoping I do not have to kill all power saving features in the BIOS =
and
can instead come to some kind of solution within Red Hat 9 to keep these
machines from going into the terminal blank screen ..=20

Thanks for the advice,

Mark