[ltp] Re: Linux-Thinkpad digest, Vol 1 #229 - 8 msgs

John R. Ackermann N8UR linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 23 Sep 2003 14:15:24 -0400

--On Thursday, September 18, 2003 12:01 PM +0200
linux-thinkpad-request@linux-thinkpad.org wrote:

> Message: 3
> To: linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
> From: Juergen Stuber <stuber@loria.fr>
> Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 13:56:25 +0200
> Subject: [ltp] airo driver (Re: Linux-Thinkpad digest, Vol 1 #227 - 12
> msgs) Reply-To: linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
>
> "John R. Ackermann   N8UR" <jra@febo.com> writes:
>>
>> I would like to use the other driver that provides an
>> interface to the standard wireless tools, but I haven't yet
>> figured out just what you need to do in order to make that
>> work, or how reliable the end result will be.
>
> It is explained at http://bellet.info/~bellet/laptop/airo_mpi.HOWTO.txt .
> I made a patch against Linux-2.4.22
> (http://www.loria.fr/~stuber/t30/airo_mpi-linux-2.4.22.diff),
> and it is working fine for me on my T30.
>
> For more see http://www.loria.fr/~stuber/t30/debian-ibm-t30-2366-085.html

Following up on this, I tried building the airo_mpi driver as described
(with kernel 2.4.22), and found that it did Bad Things to my machine -- as
far as I can tell, it seems to work OK if you have it properly configured
for an AP that's in range, but (for example) issuing a ping command if the
underlying wireless configuration isn't perfect caused the whole machine to
lock up.  There were also other random lockups that never occur otherwise.
So, I have at least for now moved back to the mpi350 module which does work
reliably despite the ugly config tools required.

John