[ltp] T40p Crashing

Stefan Farestam linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 23 Sep 2003 12:47:23 -0700

On Tue, 2003-09-23 at 12:26, John Goerzen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have been running 2.4.21-ac1 on my T40p for quite some time with
> very good success.  However, I have been having trouble with newer
> kernels.
>
> * 2.4.22-ac3 crashes when I hit Fn-F3 to turn off the screen.

Note that it doesn't crash, but the display never comes back.
The distinction is important, because you can take the machine
down gracefully by first doing <ctrl><backspace> to kill the

If the screen is black, then I also occasionally have luck
with:
   a) Change the Virtual terminal to 1: <ctrl><alt><F1>
   b) Put the machine into standby:     <Fn><F3>
   c) Wake up from standby:             <Fn>
   d) Switch back to the Xserver:       <ctrl><alt><F7>

> * 2.6.0-test5 crashes on boot when compiled with ACPI.
>
> So I disabled ACPI and enabled APM.  Now:
>
> * 2.6.0-test5 crashes when I hit Fn-F3 to turn off the screen.

Check comment above, may help.

> * 2.6.0-test5 crashes when I suspend.
>
> Does anybody know of solutions for any of these problems?

See separate thread "Thinkpad T40 screen goes dead under Red
Hat 9 .." for discussion about <Fn><F3> and suspend problems.

/Stefan