[ltp] Install linux on an X20 (2662, 600Mhz)

Niko Ehrenfeuchter linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 24 Sep 2003 13:33:33 +0200

Hi,

On Wed, Sep 24, 2003 at 01:10:34PM +0200, Serafim Dahl wrote:
> I have been asked to install Linux (any dist) on a Thinkpad X20, but I
> don't seem to find a way. There is no floppy disk drive, there is a
> CD-rom reader but on pcmcia - doesn't start until windows (W2k) is well
> on its way. The owner does not want me to remove the hard disk to make a
> partial install with the hard disk temporarily in another computer.
>
> Is there a way then? I have installed a lot of different Linux dists on
> a large variety of computers over the years but never on a Thinkpad and
> never with this kind of restrictions.

is the model capable to boot off the network? if so, you can
boot a knoppix-cd on another machine and start the
'knoppix-terminalserver' on it. choose network-boot in the
bios to boot the remote-knoppix on the thinkpad. note that
on my model (X24) i have to disable the harddisk in the
boot-devices list to be able to do a network boot.

Niko