[ltp] Re: T40p Crashing

John Goerzen linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 24 Sep 2003 10:18:05 -0500

Stefan Farestam <stefan@tibco.com> writes:

> On Tue, 2003-09-23 at 12:26, John Goerzen wrote:
>>
>> * 2.4.22-ac3 crashes when I hit Fn-F3 to turn off the screen.
>
> Note that it doesn't crash, but the display never comes back.
> The distinction is important, because you can take the machine
> down gracefully by first doing <ctrl><backspace> to kill the

I thought I had already tried these tricks everywhere a lockup
occured, but I suppose it's possible I missed this particular one.

>> * 2.6.0-test5 crashes when I suspend.
>>
>> Does anybody know of solutions for any of these problems?
>
> See separate thread "Thinkpad T40 screen goes dead under Red
> Hat 9 .." for discussion about <Fn><F3> and suspend problems.

I'm aware of Fn-F3 suspend problems already -- notably that the system
does not suspend when PCMCIA cards are in there.  I don't use this key
to suspend, therefore.  I use the KDE laptop widget, which under the
hood calls apm -s (I presume).  Sorry for omitting that detail.

-- John