[ltp] Resize NTFS Partition?

Rohit Toshniwal linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 24 Sep 2003 18:41:45 -0700 (PDT)

I wanted to resize the preinstalled Windows XP Home so
as to be able to create space for
running linux. At the same time did not want to spend
money on Partition Magic.
ntfsresize works great and it is free. The easy way to
use it is with Mandrake 9.1 as
explained in the link :
http://www.freedos.org/jhall/tp-r40/

One point I would emphasize is to turn off Virtual
memory (paging), run the defragmenter
(even if analyzer says i is not needed) and run chkdsk
(with chkdsk C: /F command). Chkdsk is
absolutely necessary even if there does not seem to be
any data at the end of the partition.
There might be some free blocks which are still marked
as being used and defragmenter will
not show it. I could not make the thing work till I
ran chkdsk.

Also if the comment "After resizing partition X all
data on this partition will be lost" don't go ahead.
All your data will be lost for SURE.

Good luck.
Rohit Toshniwal