[ltp] WiFi 802.11 a/b/g on T40 anyone?

Ramon Casellas linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 25 Sep 2003 21:34:50 +0200 (MEST)

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003, Kevin Horgan wrote:

> Another option is to use IBM's WiFi card which seems to be supported by the
> madwifi project.  I checked sourceforge and it doesn't appear like a lot of
> work is being done there though - last update was 8/2/03.  Maybe I'm wrong,
> and maybe the driver works great.

The CVS version contains some important bug fixes, and it has been
regularly updated... once a week, a file is patched +or-. However, the
main author has stated that he's currently not planning to spend a lot of
time working on the project. On the other hand, with the exception of the
ath_hal layer, the code is open an can be modified. It looks like the HAL
is quite stable, althoug not very much documented. Maybe some kernel
hacker finds time to tune it (for me the 802.11 MAC layer specification
goes much beyond my printf abilities :)).

> A third option is to use IBM's 802.11 a/b/g WiFi card.  I've heard it also
> uses the Atheros chipset and the formerly mentioned madwifi drivers should
> support this card as well.

If you can make sure that the chipset is compatible with the madwifi
drivers, I'd go for it. trimode support is cool :)

> What have people had luck with?  What would people's recommendations be.
> These all cost about the same amount of cash, and I'm looking for relative
> ease of use.

If been using IBM a/b card on a X31 with success 2.4.2X and 2.6.0 using
madwifi drivers. Sometimes I get some weird hardware error messages and it
doesn't look as polished as the windows drivers, but is perfectly ok

Regards,
R.