[ltp] WiFi 802.11 a/b/g on T40 anyone?

Michael Chase-Salerno linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 25 Sep 2003 14:33:57 -0400

I've had good luck with the Cisco card using the airo_mpi module. I do
occasionally have to reload the module if its been online for many
hours, but its not a big enough deal to make me try and figure it out.

I don't think the Windows drivers will spontaneously update the
firmware. It happens quietly if you update the drivers, but if you leave
them alone, it won't do anything.

Mike

On Thu, 2003-09-25 at 14:09, Kevin Horgan wrote:
> I'm trying to decide which miniPCI card I should have installed on my
> incoming T40.  Obviously the Intel is out due to their non-support (I really
> don't feel like waiting for vaporware due first half of 2004).
>
> One option is to go with the Cisco Aironet card, which I've read is
> supported.  However, when I read folks mini-howto's it seems keeping it
> running is a pain in the ass, due to Windows drivers automatically updating
> the firmware, causing problems in the Linux side, etc.  (This T40 will be a
> dual-boot machine)
>
> Another option is to use IBM's WiFi card which seems to be supported by the
> madwifi project.  I checked sourceforge and it doesn't appear like a lot of
> work is being done there though - last update was 8/2/03.  Maybe I'm wrong,
> and maybe the driver works great.
>
> A third option is to use IBM's 802.11 a/b/g WiFi card.  I've heard it also
> uses the Atheros chipset and the formerly mentioned madwifi drivers should
> support this card as well.
>
> What have people had luck with?  What would people's recommendations be.
> These all cost about the same amount of cash, and I'm looking for relative
> ease of use.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kevin
>
> p.s. post private responses to kevinhorgan1 "at" yahoo.com

> Help protect your PC.  Get a FREE computer virus scan online from McAfee.
Michael Chase-Salerno           bratac@us.ibm.com
IBM Linux Technology Center     Poughkeepsie, NY
Advanced Linux Response Team	http://www.ibm.com/linux