[ltp] alsa sound on 600e 2645-4au

wes schreiner linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 26 Sep 2003 03:27:40 -0500

jamie@zerosan.com wrote:

>i am attempting to have alsa sound function. comments of any
>sort from Anyone with a working setup is welcome.
>
>***quick summary: running 2.4.22-ac1 kernel on redhat9 with
>alsa 9.6 on ibm 2645-4au with cs4236 card. after compiling the
>alsa drivers I try to load modprobe snd-cs4236, and get an
>error (see below). I am wondering the following:
>
>1) should quick boot be disabled in the bios?

yes

>2) although ps2 seems to change the irq settings & io this
>doesn`t seem to help my situation.
>3) I have disabled the internal modem and IR because I dont
>need it for the time being.
>
>*** assorted details
>been trying to get the fricken sound workin.
>7.3 redhat & alsa worked just fine.
>9.0 redhat & alsa 9.6 is a nightmare for me.

I'm using Debian unstable (sid), though I haven't updated in a few weeks
so I'm still at 0.9.4, but the alsa stuff should be the same.

>(ibm utility required for setting irqs )
>PS2.exe with a dos disk is the only utility that
>allowed me to check my dma & audio settings: lspnp -v
>did not work until I disabled quick boot.(in bios)
>
>apparently I have a cs4236 with wss/soundblaster/fm
>
>I finally was able to get the PS2.exe utility to load
>on a dr. dos disk.
>
>I am trying to configure alsa sound...
>
> and have the following settings according to the
>command ps2 ? audio
>address 530,
>irq 5,
>sbaddress 220,
>dma 0 & 1, ...
>
>irq settings indicate
>sera=4,
>parallel=disabled,
>imodem=disabled,
>wss.soundblaster/fm=5, midi=9,
>ir=disabled,
>pci IRQ = 11

OK, these are all normal settings, and where you have things enabled it
is the same as in my 600E.

Other things to check with PS2.EXE:

check ps2 ? AUDIOCTRL
it should be enabled, and on mine the port is 538

ps2 ? PCIBUSPOWER should be set to AUTO

>any assistance appeciated.

Here's all of the alsa-related lines from /etc/modules.conf:

alias char-major-116 snd

alias snd-card-0 snd-cs4236

alias char-major-14 soundcore

alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0

alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss

options snd major=116 cards_limit=1

options snd-cs4236 index=0 id=CARD_0 port=0x530 cport=0x538
sb_port=0x220 fm_port=0x388 irq=5 dma1=1 dma2=0 enable=1

The last line there might be where your problem is. PS2.EXE reports the
DMA assignment as 0,1, but alsa wants them the other way around, and if
you have that wrong the module won't load.

wes