[ltp] Trackpoint 'button'

Bob Chmely linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 26 Sep 2003 21:34:08 -0700 (PDT)

All,

Having repaired thousand of ThinkPads since '95 doing
level 3 IT for SAP and was able to get to know the
EZserve techs by name.  From the experience I know the
button functionality of the Trackpoint is mechanically
flakey, at best.  For reliability I disabled it under
win95/98/nt/2k -- even on my personally owned A30 w/
win2k.

The joystick is my favorite 'pointing device' but the
button functionality will always be a problem because
there is liquid in the button switch, and ambient air
pressure and temperature affect the function behavior.
 You will see evidence of this under Windows when the
mouse cursor creeps away from where you release it.
The mechanism does correct it's state, but I
personally feel more confident using my thumb on the
space-bar or pinkie on <enter>.

=====
Bob Chmely

(862) 206-9054 cellular number
(973) 443-9298 answering machine

"Remember, if you ever need a helping hand, you'll find one at the end of your arm ... As you grow older you will discover that you have two hands. One for helping yourself, the other for helping others."*Audrey Hepburn