[ltp] ThinkPad A21p keyboard map file?

Carl Friedberg linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 29 Sep 2003 16:38:36 -0400

In general, I have noticed that IBM made an annoying change in recent
ThinkPads (in particular, the T30, but some other models, such as recent
A's, do this as well);

Previously, as with the I series and the 390's, the Fn key would act
like a "shift" key, enabling the numeric keypad keys (such as KP +,
which you activated by pressing Fn along with the / or ? key). This was
useful when running certain x terminal sessions, where the keypad might
be important for an editor. With these newer machines, the Fn key no
longer does this. You have to press the NumLock (shift Scroll Lock key)
to get these keys, but then you have to shift it off again, which might
be fine for heads-down data entry, but is useless if you want to use
these to control an editor.

Anyone have any experience working around this? (It is not strictly a
Linux problem, but when I called IBM support, I drew a complete HUH?
response)

Carl Friedberg
carl at comets dotcom