[ltp] T40p + Kernel 2.6.0

Alexander Gran linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 30 Sep 2003 15:44:27 +0200

Am Dienstag, 30. September 2003 13:25 schrieb Hartwig, Thomas:
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm a little bit confused about all configurations, kernel versions
> (2.4.22-ac4, 2.6.0-test6-mm1) and features laying around. So my question

;-)

> to all, do you have useable configurations for T40p yet. What do you

Yes.

> think about kernel 2.6.0 in general? Is it worth to migrate to already
> for working with it or is it for just have too much time?

IMO it's amazingly fast, you should give it a try.

> I had strange problems with the new kernels with my Redhat 9.0 base. For
> instance the RPM software database was not accessable any more.

I don't use Redhat,but this _shouldn't_ be a problem

> What are your configurations then? Should'nt we open a little Wiki for
> all guys testing with different configurations ant to set up a good T40p
> site for linux? I could provide this very quick? What do you think about
> this?

Well, feel free ;)
I have put up my (working) configuratin at my Homepage. (/misc/t40p.html)

> What things need to be done and its states and priorities from 1
> (lowest) to 10 (highest) orderd by priority:
>
> - ethernet -done- 10
> 	seems to work in all kernel versions

In the neweset, yes. in test6-mm1 it doesn't for me, though.

> - suspend/resume -open- 10
> 	it does'nt work in either of all kernel versions, apm or acpi

ACK.

> - xfree86 -done- 10
> 	seems to work in all kernel versions at least without 3D,
> 	however there might be problems with resuming

You need a resume patch (and to recompile XFree..) but then it works with 3=
D=20
and resume.

> - cpu throttling -open- (speedstep) 7
> 	the fan is not too quite and the high power of the cpu is
> 	sucking the battery, so this would be a nice feature to have

It works, at least with 2.6.0. cpudyn is also a  nice to have.

> - sound -done- 6
> 	seems to work in all kernel versions, however there might be
> 	problems with suspending

unloading before suspend and reloading afterwards does the trick.

> - acpi -open- 6
> 	I'm not sure if this is a requirement for cpu throttling?

No.

> - wireless support with madwifi drivers -done- 6
> 	sometimes the initialization crashes the system if sound is
> 	playing
> 	however my Redhat system does'nt recognize it as a valid
> 	wireless device for easy configuring it, I use a custom script
> 	for it and dhcp seems to work not very well

I have the same experience, but there are reports where it works.

> - 3D support with ATI (fglrx) drivers -open- 5
> 	seems to work with kernel versions below 2.6.0 - I could not
> 	compile these with 2.6.0-xxx, however there might be problems
> 	with suspending

Never tried.

> I'm sure I forgot something. By the way, anyone knows the exact size of
> the hidden image partition of IBM in the end of the 60G drive?

Your kernel should tell you that while booting!

Alex

=2D --=20
Some operating systems are called `user friendly',
	Linux however is `expert friendly'.
Encrypted Mails welcome.
PGP-Key at http://zodiac.dnsalias.org/misc/pgpkey.asc | Key-ID: 0x6D7DD291