[ltp] Switching X screen res's "on the fly"

Crawford Rainwater linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
30 Sep 2003 08:46:02 -0600

Well, I was mistaken...fixing the Num Lock key was not the solution for
what I was aiming for.  The goal is to be able to switch between
resolutions in X on the fly.

I have done this before using Debian (2.2r6 I believe) with
Enlightenment.  To switch between the screen resolutions (say from
1600x1200 to 1024x768 for an LCD projector), I would have the Num_Lock
on, hit Shift and (+ or -) and CTRL to do this.  I upgraded the hard
drive to a 60GB, and now am trying to repeat this process in RedHat 9.0,
along with eventually Debian 3.0r1 (have to install it first of course).

I am using RedHat 9.0 with the 2.4.20-20.9 kernel for reference purposes
with gdm running Gnome and KDE (using Gnome primarily).  When I use the
Gnome "System Settings" (aka redhat-config-xfree86) to do this, it
crashes X, so I am stuck at 1600x1200 (which is not compatible with most
LCD projectors of course).

TIA.

--- Crawford