[ltp] T40p + Kernel 2.6.0

Brad Langhorst linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 30 Sep 2003 12:55:00 -0400

On Tue, 2003-09-30 at 07:25, Hartwig, Thomas wrote:
I am using vanilla 2.4.22 with only xfs patches

> - ethernet -done- 10
> 	seems to work in all kernel versions
no problems here for me
> - suspend/resume -open- 10
> 	it does'nt work in either of all kernel versions, apm or acpi
this works fine for me - completely reliable across
20-50 suspend resume cycles.
> - xfree86 -done- 10
> 	seems to work in all kernel versions at least without 3D,
> 	however there might be problems with resuming
i use the vesa framebuffer on both the command line and in X - works
fine except i get a wierd negative image flash occasionally
> - cpu throttling -open- (speedstep) 7
> 	the fan is not too quite and the high power of the cpu is
> 	sucking the battery, so this would be a nice feature to have
i use apmiser and the Thomas Hood's tpctl stuff
works great
> - sound -done- 6
> 	seems to work in all kernel versions, however there might be
> 	problems with suspending
i use the oss drivers in the kernel
no problem suspending or resuming
i could not get alsa to work right.
> - acpi -open- 6
> 	I'm not sure if this is a requirement for cpu throttling?
it's not - i cannot get acpi to work but i haven't tried that hard - apm
just works for me.
> - wireless support with madwifi drivers -done- 6
> 	sometimes the initialization crashes the system if sound is
> 	playing
> 	however my Redhat system does'nt recognize it as a valid
> 	wireless device for easy configuring it, I use a custom script
> 	for it and dhcp seems to work not very well
i'm using the cvs driver and see only a few minor problems.
sometimes i have to unload the driver and reload it to stop a flood of
transmit timeout errors when i'm not in range to a wireless network.
I've noticed that it sometimes hops off my desired network unless i set
the sens parameter lower.
> - 3D support with ATI (fglrx) drivers -open- 5
> 	seems to work with kernel versions below 2.6.0 - I could not
> 	compile these with 2.6.0-xxx, however there might be problems
> 	with suspending
haven't tried this

in short everything i care about works reliably for me.

brad