[ltp] Install problem with SuSE 8.2 on TP 240

Hartmut Meyer linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 30 Sep 2003 20:16:36 +0200

Hi,

Am Dienstag, 30. September 2003 11:17 schrieb Ted Wiseman:

[...]

> SuSE says this issue is outside of their free installation support,

It's PCMCIA that is not covered by the free installatio support.

> but they did  suggest that it is very likely a problem with ACPI,

Could be, true.

> and
> emailed me a support article containing several kernel parameters for
> controlling the way ACPI is utilized during the boot. The parameters
> include:
> acpi=off
> acpi=oldboot
> acpi=force
> pci=noacpi
> But the article does not mention how exactly to introduce these
> parameters when booting.

I take it you must be talking about this one:

  http://portal.suse.com/sdb/en/2002/10/81_acpi.html

Quote: "These kernel parameters can be activated before the installation by
passing them to the kernel at the boot prompt."

The boot prompt is that line below the boot menu on the boot screen.

> The initial SuSE boot install screen

That's the one.

Try typing something when you reach that screen. You will see it appearing on
waht the article refers as the "boot prompt".

> does
> include an option for installing with ACPI disabled (presumably
> equivalent to the parameter acpi=off) which I tried, but the PCMCIA
> CDROM still was not recognized.
>
> Can anyone offer any suggestions for getting this CDROM drive
> recognized in order to continue the install process from the
> installation CD?  I'd appreciate any help.

Network install would be another option.

Greetings from Bremen
hartmut