[ltp] Aironet Wireless on T40

Fabrice Bellet linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 1 Apr 2004 17:19:04 +0200

Hello,

On Wed, Mar 31, 2004 at 09:49:01AM -0500, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> And as of 2.6.4 or so, the MPI350 support does not work particularly
> well.....  it works fine fresh after a reboot, but after a (APM)
> suspend, something isn't getting reinitialized particularly well, and
> the aironet card doesn't work at all.  Also, because the airo driver
> is integrated into airo.c, when you try to plug in an Aironet 350
> PCMCIA card, both the MPI and PCMICA interfaces show up, with the MPI
> showing up as eth1 and the PCMICA card showing up as eth2, thus
> doubling the current draw on your battery.
>
> If you fire up the cisco's ACU program, you can power down the MPI
> card, but apparently the "ifconfig eth1 down" program does not
> powerdown the MPI card.

Interesting, because it should work. It works for me with my single mpi
card when I close the interface with 'ifconfig eth1 down'. Because,
there is a specific #define POWER_ON_DOWN that disables the MAC of the
card, when the interface is closed. After the MAC is disabled, the
wireless light should stop flashing on the laptop panel, so I assume
this is the right way to save power ?

> This is true in both 2.6.4 and in 2.6.5-rc3,
> which I've only recently started testing (and which seems to have some
> random lockups that were not present in 2.6.4; in particular, if the
> Bluetooth USB driver has been enabled during that particular boot
> session, and you suspend, the system will lock up when you try to
> resume).

yes, airo.c in 2.6 also has a problem with APM resume, when kernel
preempt is disabled. The maintainer of airo.c has a pending patch to
solve this, but it's not integrated yet. This following patch solved
this issue for me :

http://bellet.info/laptop/airo.c-2.6.5-rc3.diff

Best wishes,
--