[ltp] Multi-headed desktop with ATI Radeon Mobility 7500

Krishna Sethuraman linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 2 Apr 2004 18:56:17 -0800

*WARNING*: If the LCD screen flashes white and goes fadey (I can't find
a way to describe this properly) and is allowed to sit for some time,
I've been told it can damage the LCD screen.  If you see this, try
anything to blank the screen; switch to a different virtual console,
fn-f3, or force power off. *WARNING*

You've gotten *far* more of your hardware working to its full capacity
than I ever did on my R40.  Much appreciated for posting your setup;
I'd think setups like this should be cataloged on a website somewhere
because XFree86 has so many options and controls multiple different
kinds of hardware.

I got my R40 to work in Xinerama with two monitors, sometimes needing a
couple restarts of the X server to display properly.  My configuration
is attached at the bottom, in case someone wants a simpler (or just a
different) multi-headed XF86Config to tinker with -- and heed the
*WARNING* at the beginning.

The major point I noted was the 'NoDDC' in the Device sections, and of
course your modelines will differ, definitely for your external
monitor.  FYI, this file was autogenerated by kxconfig for XFree86
v4.2.something, and modified by hand to add the Xinerama functionality.

Krishna Sethuraman
krishgoo@wapacut.com

On Friday, Apr 2, 2004, at 02:01 US/Pacific,
linux-thinkpad-request@linux-thinkpad.org wrote:

> Section "Files"
>
>     RgbPath	"/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
etc.