[ltp] Re: Looking For Linux-Friendly Thinkpad

Daniel Pittman linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 05 Apr 2004 10:48:14 +1000

On Sat, 3 Apr 2004, Gary Huntress wrote:

> I'm ready to upgrade from my fantastic 600e that has served me well
> for years. I'm now totally unfamiliar with the newer Thinkpad models.
> Can someone recommend a linux-friendly (well supported by a modern
> distro (probably Fedora))? In particular the things I had trouble with
> on my 600 were sound, USB and Modem...I eventually got them all
> working but they were not directly supported by Redhat.
>
> The only reason I am upgrading is that the trackpoint is broken
> (probably dirty) which causes a bios error at boot. Sadly, I just
> don't think it's worth paying to fix and I've tried cleaning it.
>
> Anyway, my budget is $700-$850. Amazingly enough I can get a new Dell
> Inspiron 1100 for that, hopefully there is a better TP around !

I have had great luck with the A31 and A31p series thinkpads.  Anything
around the same period - before the "Centrino" based systems - should be
well supported by Debian.

The A31p, and I believe most other models, do have a "winmodem",
though...

        Daniel

--
The only reason for mastering technique is to make sure the body does
not prevent the soul from expressing itself.