[ltp] Re: At a Standstill with 770

Duncan John Fyfe linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 5 Apr 2004 10:45:24 +0100 (BST)

On Fri, 2 Apr 2004, Jon Flanders wrote:

> Duncan,
>
>   I managed to make some progress by putting the pcmf502re.o module in
> /lib/modules/2.4.22-10mdk/pcmcia/
>
> However, at boot up modprobe executes pcmf502re.o(actually I have tried
> revd and reve), I don't have pcmf502re.o.

Yes, the module names are pcmf502r[de].o.

The 'Device or resource busy' means the module being unloaded is needed (in use)
by a module which is not being unloaded so.

	%]> lsmod

will give you a list of loaded modules.  Two of the lines should read something like:
	Module          Size   Used by    Not tainted
	ds              6964    0  [pcmf502rd]
	pcmcia_core     43872   0  [pcmf502rd ds yenta_socket]

These tell you that to unload module 'ds' you need to remove 'pcmf502rd'
and to remove 'pcmcia_core' you need to remove 'pcmf502rd' , 'ds' and 'yenta_socket'.

This should normally happen automagically but I believe your problem stems from the line

> [root@localhost jon]# modprobe \*

Module discovery should be done by cardmgr/hotplug/kernel (or a combination there of) and
you should not need to modprobe.  If this 'modprobe \*' does what I assume it does (the man
page I have doesn't say anything about modprobe \* without -a or -l) and attempts to
load every module then this is a bad idea because you increase the chance of an unecessary
module conflicts.

> [root@localhost jon]# modprobe yenta_socket;service pcmcia restart
> Shutting down PCMCIA services: ds: Device or resource busy
> pcmcia_core: Device or resource busy

See above.

Other than avoiding 'modprobe \*' all I can do at this point is suggest you make things as
simple and methodical as possible.

[Plan A]
>From system off:
	1. Remove all pcmcia cards - get one working at a time.
	2. Power on with no pcmcia cards.
	3. Take a copy of appropriate logs (kern.log ? - not sure where Mandrake logs things )
	4. Insert the offending card, what happends ?

	5a. It works hooray !
	5B. It doesn't boo !, procede to step 6.

	6. Take lots of diagnositcs just in case one holds the secret of the failure:
	        copy the logs again - is there anything in them (errors, warnings)
		lsmod	- have modules loaded
		pcmcia  - did you get a combination of high/low beeps on insertion ?
                          If so check the pcmcia debugging docs for clues.
		lspci --vvxxx
		catdctl status

		anything else you can think of

	  This may seem OTT but the more information you can get the more likely someone will
	  be able to diagnose a problem.

[Plan B]
As Plan A but put the card in before power on.

Have fun,
Duncan

--
Duncan John Fyfe          X-ray Astronomy Group,
                          Dept. of Physics & Astronomy,