[ltp] Linux on R50P

Niel Lambrechts linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 05 Apr 2004 14:39:05 +0200

This response is from my R50P, running SuSE 9.0 Pro, kernel 2.6.5.=20

1. Wireless (using Atheros/Madwifi) - stable
My card talks to a prism54 driver on another box in master mode.
2. USB devices (IPAQ, USB memory stick) - stable under APM, somewhat broken=
 under ACPI
3. FGLRX ATI driver for Linux - causes o/s crash when resuming under ACPI o=
r APM.
4. Power management APM - stable
5. Power management ACPI -=20
I had to manually fix my dsdt, since IBM's one is broken. After this, all s=
ensors including temperature, throttling etc work as expected.
Suspend-to-ram works ok, but breaks USB even if no usb modules were loaded =
during the suspend.
Resuming when fglrx module is loaded will result in crash, so I do not use =
fglrx at all.=20
Resuming at a VT level =3D black display with which you can still interact,=
 but under X it is ok.
6. Disk:
Works great in udma5, 32-bit. Drive standby works.=20
I am also using laptop_mode patch for 2.6.5.=20
/dev/hda:
 Timing buffer-cache reads:   1220 MB in  2.01 seconds =3D 608.27 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:   92 MB in  3.01 seconds =3D  30.58 MB/sec
7. Battery
I have a 9-cell battery:
Under windows: +- 6 hours
Linux (APM): close to 5 hours
Linux (ACPI), 6 hours, with laptop_mode patch.
8. Other
Running a ps after any suspend (APM/ACPI) causes ps to display incorrect ST=
IME values. (i.e. suspend on wednesday, resume on thursday - ps will stil=
l display a new process start time as wednesday) I have no idea about thi=
s one...

Hope this helps.

-Niel