[ltp] Re: Linux on R50P

Crawford Rainwater linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
05 Apr 2004 07:40:44 -0600

On Mon, 2004-04-05 at 04:01, James McKenzie <jjmckenzie51@sprintpcs.com>
wrote:
> Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2004 00:24:09 -0700
> From: James McKenzie <jjmckenzie51@sprintpcs.com>
> To: Linux on Thinkpads Mailling List <linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org>
> Subject: [ltp] Linux on R50P
>
> Listers:
>
> Feedback on Linux (all distros) on a R50p.
> I might buy one in the future and will run Linux on it.
>
> James McKenzie

I have had SuSE 9.0, RedHat 9.0, and Debian via Knoppix 3.3 work on my
ThinkPad R50p (model 8132-22U).  Prefer the latter with a 2.4.25 kernel
compiled in personally (had to use it to get the 10Base1G to work).  Via
MadWiFi using the CVS, got the 802.11b/g working nicely as well (need to
tweek things to get the LED to light up still though).  CD-burner works
well too (have not tried the DVD-burner features yet...do not have any
DVD sized data to try it with...yet).

In the end save some minor tweeking for things like apm, 3D
acceleration, I think Knoppix 3.3 was able to do the deal from the
start.  I am also experimenting with an LVM setup on it as well, which
seems to work just fine as well (again via 2.4.25 kernel).

HTH.

--- Crawford
--
The Linux ETC Company