[ltp] Re: Looking For Linux-Friendly Thinkpad

Frank Roberts - SOTL linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 5 Apr 2004 16:12:42 -0400

On Monday 05 April 2004 14:02, Matthias Posseldt wrote:
> On Monday 05 April 2004 02:48, Daniel Pittman wrote:
> > The A31p, and I believe most other models, do have a "winmodem",
> > though...
>
> The A30p has a WinModem (or SoftModem), but a linux driver exists: The
> slmdm driver works (at least version 2.7.10, versions > .10 didn't
> though). Just have a look into the archives.
Since I have an A30p I would appreciate knowing where one may obtain this Win
Modem.

The last time I checked 1 1/2 years ago there was no such creature.

I solved the issue by buying a pcia full modem for $50 or so form Best Buy.
Also available [at that time] from Comp USA and several other sources.

Frank

> The only component I didn't get to work yet on my A30p is the high speed
> IRDA, but I don't care. I didn't test firewire yet but assume that it
> works (I don't have any firewire component to test).

I have that working too along with normal DSL on Mandrake 9.x [all three have
worked].  The only issue with this is you MUST have the DSL and IRDA devices
up and functioning when you set up or reconfigure the system. You CAN NOT
make them work using Mandrake without having the corrects functioning inputs
at the time of setup. If the detection system does NOT detect an input then
it is almost impossible to configure it afterwards.

Frank