[ltp] cron vs. suspend (was: suspend resume works fine for sh ort suspends - fails for longer suspends)

Ivarsson, Torbjorn (T) linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 6 Apr 2004 06:49:20 -0500

I may have spoken too soon. I left my R40 suspended for a couple of days, suspended from the GUI log-in screen (i.e., no KDE, no Gnome), and I couldn't wake it up - though the backlit was on. Checking the log files after the next boot told me that cron is waking up the computer and runs a (standard) job at 01:00am every day and then suspends the computer.

It seems like this cron-wakeup may be partly responsible for the hang-up. I was under the impression that a suspend-to-RAM (APM) will stop most of the activities in the computer, but I guess I had the wrong impression...

Is there a way to tell cron to not run jobs when the computer is suspended? I know that could probably shut down the cron-service when suspending and restarting it when resuming, but I'm wondering if there's some cron-parameter to set to do it for me.

Is the same thing happening for ACPI?

Thanks,
T.