[ltp] Looking For Linux-Friendly Thinkpad

Jeffrey Taylor linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 6 Apr 2004 16:21:39 -0500

Quoting Mark Houlder <mark.houlder@ot-t.com>:
> My T41 worked out of the box with suse9.0 (i think it's 'certified' to
> work with it by IBM, for what that's worth - i think it just means they
> tried it themselves and thought it was OK), only thing i had to install
> myself was the agere modem drivers. wifi and bluetooth support isn't
> complete but is improving, tho i think that's a general linux issue
> rather than a thinkpad one.
>
> I use gentoo now which is a lot more work (in the constant-tinkering
> sense of the word) but if anything works even better; i've certainly had
> no linux-vs-hardware issues because of the machine. i'd recommend suse
> though if you want it to just 'work'. i think 9.1 is about to be
> released, too...

SuSE 9.1 is supposed to be released May 6.  The betas are going well.
Installation on my T41 was straightforward.  The driver for the Intel
Pro 2100 is included.  It works with Managed mode.  WEP support is
still experimental.  Works for some, not for others.  Situation should
be even better for final release.  I find it very usable (I am
currently in a coffeehouse across town, SSHed into my home machine to
read & write my e-mail.  Very responsive.).

For 9.0, I had to install in safemode and run with ACPI disabled.
With 9.1 beta, ACPI works (haven't tried any of the sleep modes).

HTH,
  Jeffrey