[ltp] Re: mwavem-2.0 released

Thomas Hood linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 10 Apr 2004 10:34:14 +0100 (BST)

Justin Georgeson wrote:
> Has a request for the source code been turned down? I thought GPL
> only said you have to provide the source, upon request, to those [to]
> whom you have distributed the binary.

The GPL says that you have to provide either source, or a written
offer to provide source.  Neither or these is present in the mwavem
tarball.

One can only regard mwavem as distributable under the GPL if he
considers the DSP binaries themselves to be source code.  This is
a strange way to look at them, to say the least.

Distros that are distributing mwavem at present are all ignoring
this problem, making the assumption that IBM really meant for the
DSP binaries to be freely distributable.  However, it would be
better to have an explicit statement to this effect.
--
Thomas Hood

=====
Linux on ThinkPad 600 page: http://panopticon.csustan.edu/thood/tp600lnx.htm