[ltp] suspend and USB mouse

Michael Eichler linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 10 Apr 2004 19:28:02 -0500

I have configured my Thinkpad A31p almost completely. There are only two drawbacks left (of which I am aware):

1) the modem: I know that for a long time there was no driver available. Does anybody have newer information? (Or is a driver already included in the current linux distributions? - I did not have the opportunity to test it.)

2) resuming after suspend: When I have my USB mouse connected, linux hangs when resuming after suspend. The first sign is that the USB mouse does no longer work but the system freezes completely after the first action (eg opening a terminal). If the mouse is not connected everything works fine. One notable difference: With the USB mouse the systems suspends with a metallic (?) click at the end while without the mouse everything sounds normal.

Here is what I found among my system messages:

Apr 10 18:50:10 localhost kernel: usb.c: deregistering driver hiddev
Apr 10 18:50:10 localhost kernel: usb.c: deregistering driver hid
Apr 10 18:50:11 localhost apmd[4637]: System Suspend
Apr 10 18:50:11 localhost kernel: usb.c: USB disconnect on device 00:1d.1-1 address 2

After that the messages continue with the reboot.

By the way, I tried it with and without ACPI - no difference.

The problem is not urgent as I can always disconnect my mouse before suspend, but a proper solution would be preferred.

Thank you,

Michael Eichler