[ltp] PS/2 Wheel Mouse

Matt Graham linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 12 Apr 2004 11:21:54 -0400

On Monday 12 April 2004 10:43, after a long battle with technology,
Gonzalo Avaria wrote:
> Is there a way of getting the wheel to work with a PS2 mouse? When i
> use USB it works really great, but if i use the PS2 port it stops
> working. Many of you may ask "Why don't i use the usb port?", well, i
> am now using a usb keyboard, and in my TP600x i only have 1 usb port.

Buy a USB hub?  Use the Thinkpad's keyboard, unless you have a pressing
need for the numeric keypad on a regular keyboard?

> So, is there a simple way of getting to work the wheel on the ps2
> port?

The Trackpoint and the PS/2 mouse port share data lines on Thinkpads.
The Trackpoint uses the PS/2 protocol, while most wheelmice use the
IMPS/2 protocol.  If you have 2 devices that speak different protocols
sharing the same data lines, it's highly likely that neither one will
work.  One thing that will work is to disable the Trackpoint using the
BIOS Setup or ntpctl, then make sure the mouse protocol for the PS/2
port in your /etc/X11/XF86Config is set to "IMPS/2" and the Option
"ZAxisMapping" "4 5" line is present for your mouse.

--
 As a dog stood outside the gate of a temple, the Buddha called to him,
 "Dog, why do you not enter?" The dog looked back and replied, "I do not