[ltp] X doesn't start automatically

Dale Amon linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 13 Apr 2004 13:00:20 +0100

On Mon, Apr 12, 2004 at 08:39:32PM -0600, Hector Socas Navarro wrote:

> I've been screwing around with my system recently and now the X server
> doesn't start automatically after my laptop boots up (as it used to do).
> I need to log in in text mode and then execute startx.
>
> Does anybody know how to get it started automatically? I use RedHat 7.3
> with plenty of updates and kernel 2.4.22.

First check your /etc/init.d/ X boot script to see if it
works to start and stop X.

I think RedHat has a file somewhere that checks to
see which daemons are enabled/disabled at boot. That
controls those Y and N you see during boot.

   Dale Amon     amon@islandone.org    +44-7802-188325
       International linux systems consultancy
     Hardware & software system design, security
    and networking, systems programming and Admin
	      "Have Laptop, Will Travel"