[ltp] Hardware Question regarding salvaging HDD's

Brian Beattie linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 13 Apr 2004 09:24:30 -0400

--=-owTPJorCZmYWNKz4TdBh

Is this what you are looking for?

http://store.yahoo.com/priorityelectronics/pmusb20exhad.html

or

http://www.sewelld.com/USBHardDriveCase25.asp

On Tue, 2004-04-13 at 09:10, Aaron Mulder wrote:
> [...]
> casing that would fit notebook drives.  I didn't check it out, and I don'=
t=20
> know how many mm it accomodates, but it might be worth looking into.  I=20
> also don't know whether it was USB or FireWire.  I guess this qualifies a=
s=20
> "long shot".  :)
>=20
> Aaron
>=20
> On Mon, 12 Apr 2004, Analabha Roy wrote:
> > Hi,
> >=20
> >=20
> >  I apologize in advance as this question is not directly related to run=
ning Linux on
> > Thinkpads, but I'm utterly lost and have nowhere to turn to for informa=
tion/guidance, so
> > any advice would be appreciated tenfold.
> >=20
> >=20
> >   I had an IBM Thinkpad 770Z in which I had an XP/Linux-mdk-9.1 dual bo=
ot and everything
> > was fine, until one day it wouldn't boot anymore (not even the BIOS or =
anything). I took
> > it to a shop & they ran a diagnostic & said that the motherboard was da=
maged beyond
> > repair. Since the peripherals were working fine, I was thinking of mayb=
e salvaging my HDD
> > and using it as a portable (it's an IBM Travelstar). I thought that may=
be if I got a
> > standard USB hard drive casing (with the IDE-usb adapter in it) and con=
nect the hard
> > drive and put it in the casing, I might be able to mount it in my deskt=
op via USB and use
> > it as a 14.1 gig portable drive, after I ghosted all my Linux partition=
s and recovered
> > the data using "dd" in Linux or something (I have a written copy of my =
partition table).
> > Unfortunately, all standard hard drive casings seem to be 12mm thick, a=
nd the travelstar
> > is 15mm thick, so it won't fit. In addition, the IDE port in the adapte=
r is female, & so
> > is the IDE port in the Hard Drive (& they don't have the same # of pins=
). Accoding to the
> > IBM tech people, there are no casings or adapters in which travelstars =
may fit.
> >=20
> >  I was wondering if you could suggest a way by which I might be able to=
 salvage the HDD
> > and use it as an external, or, suggest a way to connect it to the IDE c=
ontroller of my
> > desktop via a laptop pin-set-desktop pin-set adapter (if such a thing e=
xists), afraid my
> > hardware knowledge is next to negligible so I'm stuck. Also, if all els=
e fails, is there
> > a way to format the hard drive (outside of connecting it to another 770=
Z, I don't know of
> > anybody else who has such an old IBM, even penniless grad students like=
 me)?
> >=20
> >=20
> >   Please let me know if any of the above is possible.
> >=20
> >=20
> > Thanks,
> > Analabha Roy
> >=20
> >=20
> > =09
> > 	=09
> >=20
--=20
Brian Beattie            | Experienced kernel hacker/embedded systems
beattie@beattie-home.net | programmer, direct or contract, short or
www.beattie-home.net     | long term, available immediately.

"Honor isn't about making the right choices.
It's about dealing with the consequences." -- Midori Koto

--=-owTPJorCZmYWNKz4TdBh

--=-owTPJorCZmYWNKz4TdBh--