[ltp] apm on an R40 with 2.6.4

Wolf Wiegand linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 13 Apr 2004 17:33:43 +0200

Hi,

I just can't get apm working on my R40. After a couple of minutes of
idling, the screen blanks and there is no way to get it back to life
again. Only a hard reset works. When I close the lid, my computer goes
to sleep (the little moon-sign is blinking) as expected. When I open it
up again, it tries to wake up again. But all I see is some content of my
desktop, in weird colors and 640x480 resolution. Again, everythink is
dead, only a hard reset works. To make it even worse, sometimes both
problems are gone for no apparent reason, but come back really quickly. :-(

For kernel configuration, I used the apm-entries from a working
2.4.24-kernel:

# Power management options (ACPI, APM)
# APM (Advanced Power Management) BIOS Support
CONFIG_APM=m
# CONFIG_APM_IGNORE_USER_SUSPEND is not set
CONFIG_APM_DO_ENABLE=y
# CONFIG_APM_CPU_IDLE is not set
# CONFIG_APM_DISPLAY_BLANK is not set
# CONFIG_APM_RTC_IS_GMT is not set
# CONFIG_APM_ALLOW_INTS is not set
CONFIG_APM_REAL_MODE_POWER_OFF=y

I am now using kernel 2.6.4 with Debian unstable.

Could anyone who has apm working all right with 2.6.4 (or higher) mail
me their kernel configuration for apm? Or give some hints how to get rid
of this problem?

Thanks a lot in advance

Wolf