[ltp] Hardware Question regarding salvaging HDD's

Charles E Taylor IV linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 13 Apr 2004 12:34:12 -0400

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 23:10:54 -0700
Jonathan Byrne <jonathan@yamame.org> wrote:

[770Z hard disk]

> You should be able to format the disk in pretty much any notebook
> that it will physically fit, since Travelstars are not IBM-specific,
> not are Thinkpads Travelstar-specific (unless IBM did something really
> evil with the 770 models; I've had a 240 and currently have a pair
> of 600Xs and they all use standard notebooks disks).

The drive is standard - it's just inside a (easily-opened) caddy.  The
only issue he might have with the drive is that it's physically too fat to
fit in some newer/thinner notebooks.  I don't see any reason why he can't
hook it up to a desktop machine with an adapter, though I haven't tried
it.  It's just a basic hard drive.

Another option for the original poster is to pick up a secondhand
770/770X/770Z from Ebay.  Ones without hard drive/caddy/PSU tend to go for
next to nothing - maybe even cheaper than buying a USB housing to get at
the contents of the drive. :)

*  Charles Taylor <tomalek@mindspring.com>
*  Chemistry teacher, Linux enthusiast!
*  Web: http://home.mindspring.com/~charletiv/