[ltp] SpeedStep? - ACPI "throttling"

Tony Whitmore linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 13 Apr 2004 17:45:31 +0100

Jordi G. March wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I've got an A31p with a 1.8Ghz Mobile P4. When I suspend/resume, core
> frequency varies from 1.2Ghz to 1.8Ghz without, apparently, any reason.
> It's not a throttling problem because it resumes/starts with a "steady"
> frequency (say 1.2Ghz or 1.8Ghz), so /proc/acpi/processor/CPU/throttling
> always toggles according to that base (1.2Ghz or 1.8Ghz).
>
> What I want to do is to adjust to 1.8Ghz in case I resume with a 1.2Ghz
> "base", and I cannot achieve this by tuning /proc/.../throttling.
>
> I've got a 2.4.24 kernel with ACPI + swsusp2 patches... I cannot go
> through 2.6.x right now, and test (maybe?) SpeedStep functions as I
> haven't been able to get swsusp2 working on 2.6 series.

Hi,

I noticed that my R40 would "step" based on whether or not the mains
lead was plugged in on power on. So if it was not plugged in, it would
run at 800MHz. If the mains was on when the laptop was powered on, it
would run at the full 1.4GHz.

I never got frequency scaling working under 2.4, I'm not even sure if
it's possible. It was very easy to get working with 2.6 though.

Cheers,

Tony