[ltp] apm on an R40 with 2.6.4

Wolf Wiegand linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 13 Apr 2004 22:31:08 +0200

Ivarsson, Torbjorn (T) wrote:

>>I just can't get apm working on my R40. After a couple of minutes of
>>idling, the screen blanks and there is no way to get it back to life
>>again. Only a hard reset works. When I close the lid, my
>>computer goes
>>to sleep (the little moon-sign is blinking) as expected. When
>>I open it
>>up again, it tries to wake up again. But all I see is some
>>content of my
>>desktop, in weird colors and 640x480 resolution. Again, everythink is
>>dead, only a hard reset works. To make it even worse, sometimes both
>>problems are gone for no apparent reason, but come back
>>really quickly. :-(
>
> Sounds like the problem I have on my R40... :-/  I will troubleshoot it this weekend. I suspect that XFree86 and/or KDE is causing the problem. What I do for now is to log-out from KDE to get to the Display Manager and then I press Fn+F4 to suspend.

Since I'm not using KDE, it probably is not responsible for the trouble.

With Eric's help, I somewhat solved my problem. If you're interested,
you can find my XF86config-4 here:
http://www.student.uni-oldenburg.de/wolf.wiegand/XF86Config-4

Since I'm using neither an external mouse nor an external monitor, I
don't know if they will work with this.

> You say that apm doesn't work, but do you get the battery-indicator?

Yes, although 'apm doesn't work as expected or desired' would be more
appropriate.

Be assured that I'll keep my fingers crossed for your troubleshooting
this weekend :-)

regards,

Wolf