[ltp] synaptics touchpad with 2.6.5

Tony Whitmore linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 14 Apr 2004 21:05:22 +0100

Thomas Besser wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently started with kernel version 2.6.x on my R40 (debian unstable). The
> recognized touchpad (see following kernel dmesg from 2.6.5) works, but the
> single touch on the touchpad area as mouse click does not. Under 2.4.x this
> was no problem.
>
> mice: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice
> serio: i8042 AUX port at 0x60,0x64 irq 12
> Synaptics Touchpad, model: 1
>  Firmware: 5.9
>  Sensor: 44
>  new absolute packet format
>  Touchpad has extended capability bits
>  -> multifinger detection
>  -> palm detection
>  -> pass-through port
> input: SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad on isa0060/serio1
> serio: Synaptics pass-through port at isa0060/serio1/input0
> input: PS/2 Generic Mouse on synaptics-pt/serio0
>
> Any hints what to do or where is the problem?

Even though there is increased support for the Synaptics devices under
2.6 kernels, you still need to compile a separate Synaptics driver for X
to get the single/double tap features. I'm using Debian so I just
installed the xfree86-driver-synaptics package, but you can download the
source here: http://w1.894.telia.com/~u89404340/touchpad/

My configuration section in XF86Config-4 looks like:

Section "InputDevice"
   Driver        "synaptics"
   Identifier    "TouchPad"
   Option        "CorePointer"
   Option        "Device"        "/dev/psaux"
   Option        "Protocol"      "auto-dev"
   Option        "LeftEdge"      "1900"
   Option        "RightEdge"     "5400"
   Option        "TopEdge"       "1900"
   Option        "BottomEdge"    "4000"
   Option        "FingerLow"     "25"
   Option        "FingerHigh"    "30"
   Option        "MaxTapTime"    "180"
   Option        "MaxTapMove"    "220"
   Option        "VertScrollDelta" "100"
   Option        "MinSpeed"      "0.02"
   Option        "MaxSpeed"      "0.18"
   Option        "AccelFactor" "0.0010"
   Option        "SHMConfig"     "on"
#  Option       "Repeater"      "/dev/ps2mouse"
EndSection

There is also a relevant Load Module section for the synaptics driver
and it is included as the CorePointer device so need specifying in the
Server section.

HTH,

Tony