[ltp] Trying to Mount USB hard drive

Thu, 15 Apr 2004 10:00:36 +0300

--dDRMvlgZJXvWKvBx

On Wed, Apr 14, 2004 at 09:34:13PM -0700, Mendel Cooper wrote:
> Thanks, guys, for all the help in mounting a USB flash drive. It's
> working fine now.
>=20
> My success with that encouraged me to once again try to mount a 3.5" hard
> drive in a USB enclosure. Hey, I figured I could maybe try mounting it on
> /dev/sda1, just like the flash drive.

You can use fdisk -l /dev/sda to see how the disk is partitioned.

Note that the kernel does not automatically reread the partition table
when you plug in a different USB mass storage device than you had
plugged in before.  Sometimes you have to nudge it by calling sfdisk -R
/dev/sda (or fdisk -z /dev/sda).

> Well . . . It was about one-quarter part successful. The drive mounted,
> but the system only recognized the first four cylinders of it. So,
> I got 32 usable MB on an 8 GB drive. Even with fdisk, only 32 MB were
> accessible.
>=20
> And then that temporarily messed up the USB port. The CDR burner in a
> USB enclosure wasn't recognized. The USB flash drive wouldn't mount. I
> had to do a hardware reset, i.e., a reboot to fix all that up.
>=20
> I figure that maybe /dev/sda1 isn't the right device for a USB hard drive.
> Can anyone help on this?

I'm not sure what your problems were caused by.  I have used a hard disk
in an external enclosure -- it worked the same way a USB flash memory
key works.

Marius Gedminas
--=20
H.323 has much in common with other ITU-T standards - it features a complex
binary wire protocol, a nightmarish implementation, and a bulk that can be =
used
to fell medium-to-large predatory animals.  -- Anthony Baxter

--dDRMvlgZJXvWKvBx

--dDRMvlgZJXvWKvBx--