[ltp] r40 without built-in wireless

Norbert Wojtowicz linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 17 Apr 2004 20:38:06 -0500

Hello,

I am new to this list, and I can't seem to find a search of the list archives, so I hope I'm not being too redundant with an earlier thread.

I am hoping to purchase a thinkpad r40, but the one I have found for a decent price does not have built-in wireless. From what I've read, the newer thinkpads only boot with either an ibm or cisco mini pci card. Yet, it seems the cisco mini pci card is not supported. Much of the literature seems outdated or contradictory. Can someone help me pick out a good linux-supported mini pci card for this laptop?

I'd also like to know if there is good support for the  pcmcia on debian (which I plan on running). If so, maybe I would just get a wireless card for the pcmcia slot. Is there a big performance boost, power drain, etc. to this approach?

Thanks for any help.
Norbert.