[ltp] r40 without built-in wireless

Mark Carroll linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 20 Apr 2004 07:00:05 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004, Austin Murphy wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Apr 2004, Norbert Wojtowicz wrote:
(snip)
> > Did the card come preinstalled? From what I've heard it's sort of a

I missed this question - sorry.

> > pain to install a mini pci in the thinkpads. Since I haven't owned one,
> > I don't know from personal experience. Also does it void your warranty?
> > Anyone had experience with this?

No, I installed it myself. I'm pretty inexperienced, and it was easy. IIRC
the screws aren't meant to be reused so I got a screw kit from IBM too; I
wanted to do at least a good a job as the professionals. I have had
(unrelated) warranty service since. You do have to pack the wires well in
the small space, and make sure the antenna connectors are properly clicked
onto the card's terminals.

> IBM sells the tri-mode mini-pci card as an option.  It's about $100 or so.

Right.

> I've purchased and installed them for my T40 and other T40's I support.
> You have to remove the keyboard and the palmrest (at least on the T40) to
> get to the mini-pci slot.  It is a matter of about 10 little screws.
(snip)

On my R40, just a little door underneath, held by one screw.

-- Mark