[ltp] Laptop screen too dim

hamish linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 21 Apr 2004 06:32:59 +0100

Nick Rout wrote:

>On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 18:34:57 -0400
>James Knott <james.knott@rogers.com> wrote:
>

>>Mendel Cooper wrote:

>>>I've had the same "problem" with my 770Z. The screen is plenty bright
>>>indoors, but almost unreadable in sunlight. I think, to a lesser extent,
>>>you'd have the same problem with a CRT monitor, though. Bright sunlight
>>>makes it rather difficult to read anything, whether it be a laptop screen
>>>or even a book.
>>>
>>>The only thing I can suggest is to put up a tent or an awning of some
>>>sort to create shade. Or maybe some kind of hood over the laptop screen.
>>>
>>>Mendel
>>>

>>http://www.kaidan.com/products/glare_hood.html
>>

>arrrgghhh just *too* geeky for words!
>
>although perhaps not as geeky as the last poster effectively suggesting
>a tent-like cover. man do you guys ever get a tan? LOL

hey... I resemble that remark... (I used to use a towel :)

But I digress... Funds permitting (I hate it when people say that) try
out the new flexview displays... While they're still not 100% in bright
sunlight on the actual screen, I was pleasently surprised that on
saturday I could see the screen of my r50p (With the flexview 1600x1200
display) when sitting in the car outside ( Bright sunlight. Had a bit of
direct sunlight on the edge & could just see that too. While parts of
screen in ordinary shade inside car were legible enough to do come coding).

The screens do get better with the newer laptops... I had my old a20p
and my new r50p side by side and the a20p display looks yellow compared
to the brightness of the r50. In fact I don't even run with full
brightness on when in the office any more...