[ltp] KDE crashes but not Gnome after suspend - solved... kin d of.

Ivarsson, Torbjorn (T) linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 21 Apr 2004 08:36:56 -0500

So I spent the weekend troubleshooting MDK10Community for a fix. I tried everything except removing the Radeon driver. Instead I got fed up, threw away Mandrake, and installed Debian (Sarge/Testing) instead. Yeah, it's kind of cheating, but after noticing that Knoppix 3.3 suspend/resume just fine I wanted to give it a try.

Sweet relief. Now it works. Debian kernel 2.6.3-1-386, with APM, no ACPI, no APIC. Direct rendering is not currently activated, but that's Ok. I'll work on that later. Perhaps DRI was the culprit the whole time...

Anyway, I can finally rest. This problem has bugged me for a loooong time. Well, there are more things to work on in Debian...

This leads me to two questions. They are a little bit off-topic, so skip them if you like:

Installing Debian was an interesting experience. The problem I had was that after the reboot and CD-eject during the installation process, the CD-rom got un-mounted. This lead to problems when I came to the "configure apt" and "install packages" parts of the installation process. The installation seemed to freeze.
What I did was to press ctrl-c and then an enter to get back to the "installation menu". Then I could open a shell, mount the CD-rom, and continue with apt-configuration or package-installation.

Question: Is this normal, or should I report it as a bug to the Debian team?

Then I tried to recompile the kernel (2.6.4). Compilation went fine, but when I try to install the new kernel package mkinitrd fails and asks for ide_disk. The only file I can find is ide-disk.

Question: How can I make my custom kernel with initrd to successfully install?

Thanks,
T.