[ltp] Laptop screen too dim

hamish linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 21 Apr 2004 16:50:55 +0100

James Knott wrote:

> hamish wrote:
>
>> Nick Rout wrote:

>>> arrrgghhh just *too* geeky for words!
>>>
>>> although perhaps not as geeky as the last poster effectively suggesting
>>> a tent-like cover. man do you guys ever get a tan? LOL
>>>

>> hey... I resemble that remark... (I used to use a towel :)
>>
>> But I digress... Funds permitting (I hate it when people say that)
>> try out the new flexview displays... While they're still not 100% in
>> bright sunlight on the actual screen, I was pleasently surprised that
>> on saturday I could see the screen of my r50p (With the flexview
>> 1600x1200 display) when sitting in the car outside ( Bright sunlight.
>> Had a bit of direct sunlight on the edge & could just see that too.
>> While parts of screen in ordinary shade inside car were legible
>> enough to do come coding).
>>
>> The screens do get better with the newer laptops... I had my old a20p
>> and my new r50p side by side and the a20p display looks yellow
>> compared to the brightness of the r50. In fact I don't even run with
>> full brightness on when in the office any more...
>>

> One thing to bear in mind, is that a brighter display means less
> battery life.

Ahh.... Maybe... I agree it's shorter IF the thing sucks more power just
to drive the light harder & brighter. But it's possible that it's
brighter just because it transmits more light than the older ones...And
my battery life with the 6 cell is 4 hours (According to the specs, I've
not verified that yet :). The battery life with my A20p was 3 hours when
new...

I suspect the higher transmissivity myself, since there's not a lot you
could do to make it more visible in sunlight except reflect more of the
light back from the rear of the display.

It'd be nice to get an answer from the peopl that make it...