[ltp] noflushd

Justin Georgeson linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 22 Apr 2004 16:47:46 -0500

I have 2 partitions with data, / and /boot, both formatted ext3. I
installed noflushd and it did power down the driver, but within 5
minutes it started a cycle of powering up and down with just a few
minutes between each. I imagine this is bad for the drive so I disabled
noflushd. I forget what I set the timeout to, but it was definitely
between 5 and 15 minutes, so it seems like it was powering down to
quickly. There are two things I have in consideration, reformatting
(perhaps just remounting) with ext2 in case journaling is screwing with
noflushd, and adding memory. Right now I'm running debian unstable using
gnome, and only have 128 MB of memory, so it swaps quite a bit.

--
; Justin Georgeson
; "Free the mallocs, delete the news"