[ltp] T30:Projector resolution hassles

Atul Chitnis linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 23 Apr 2004 19:50:08 +0530 (IST)

I have this problem that I have been trying to fix for a while, but
without success. Here's hoping that someone has run into this as well, and
managed to fix it:

I have a Thinkpad T30, with a Radeon Mobility 7500 display system, feeding
a 1400x1050 LCD display. The machine runs Fedora Core 1, using
XFree86-4.3.0-55 and KDE 3.2.1. I am not using Xinerama.

My problem is when I am using this thing with a projector (which I do
often). Most projectors I run into can only handle 1024x768 or less, which
sin't too much of an issue - using KDE's REsize and Rotate tool (i.e.
xrandr), I can easily size my display to whatever the projector can
handle.

But that is where the problem starts - X correctly resizes to the desired
resolution (like, say, 1024x768), KDE 3.2.1 correctly refreshes,
OpenOffice.org 1.1.1 correctly displays fullscreen - but the image going
out to the projector is 1024x768, mapped to a 640x480 window, as if I had
set ito to a 1024x768 virtual desktop. It pans and scrolls around.

I can't figure out why this happens. The projector can do 1024x768, the
resolution on the LCD is 1024x768, but the output to the external video
(projector) from the machine is 640x480, panning around on a 1024x768
display.

Naturally, it all works fine under Windows.

Is there *any* way to avoid this, or to force the external display to a
true 1024x768? I have tried it all, running xrandr to force a resize,
turning off the LCD, etc - nothing seems to work.

My /etc/X11/XF86Config is created by redhat-config-xfree86, and contains
no virtual desktop size settings. This is something X is doing on its own.

TIA for any help - I have another big presentation coming up soon, and
want to get a fix on this.

And while we are at it - parts of presentations involve showing some
video. This is invoked form OpenOffice.org by running mplayer, which shows
it on the LCD, but not on the external display! The only way to force the
issue is to run "mplayer -vo x11", but that doesnt let me fullscreen :(

Any clues on this one?

Atul

Atul Chitnis       | achitnis@exocore.com
Bangalore, India   | +91 (80) 2344-0397