[ltp] T30:Projector resolution hassles

Matt Graham linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 23 Apr 2004 11:29:33 -0400

On Friday 23 April 2004 11:16, after a long battle with technology, Atul
Chitnis wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Apr 2004, Aaron Mulder wrote:
> > 	If you're really getting different resolutions with panning, try
> > connecting the projector and then restarting X (from runlevel 3 if
> > necessary).  I think the card/driver doesn't detect the
> > capabilities of the external display except at X startup time

> Did that, no joy.
> In fact, I suspect that it is the *detection* process that's goofing
> up here. Either X is not reading the display response correctly, or
> the projectors aren't giving out correct information.

> Is there any way to display what X thinks it has detected? and any
> way to override this?

The T30 has a Radeon video card IIRC.  "man radeon" suggests the
CloneMode, CloneHsync, and CloneVRefresh options in XF86Config may be
useful.  And if you really need to display video on the external
monitor with -vo xv instead of -vo x11, look at the OverlayOnCRTC2
XF86Config option.  I can't test any of these things out because my
A22p has a Rage128 video card, but read the man page and try the
CloneMode setting and see what happens.

--
   "Which you then convert to gold, non-perishable food, firearms, good
   liquor & a secluded hideaway in the last of the internet official