[ltp] Some issues on R50p

hamish linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 23 Apr 2004 17:01:55 +0100

Andre Timmermann wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Im running debian_sid on my new R50p (1832-27G), and I have some
>unsolved problems. Im using 2.6.6-rc2 from kernel.org

me too... On an 1832-2ag

>1. ACPI: the system is not able to power off automatically. The screen
>and the fan turn off, but it is still in some undefined state when I try
>to shutdown. I have tried SuSE with the SuSE 2.4-something
>standard-kernel and it works. Did anybody made it work with a stock
>2.6.x-kernel?

That's the apic problem. Disable apic on uniprocessors.

>2: ACPI: I have seen that there are some errors concerning the
>dsdt-table. I did not manage to copmpile my own. If possible, please
>send me a copy of a working table? Or is it possible to upload a working
>one to http://acpi.sourceforge.net/dsdt/ ?

Yep. Snap.

>3: Suspend to RAM: When I close the lid, the TP goes to bed ;) but id
>does not wake up again. When I open the lid nothing happens, neither
>when I press FN. When I press the power button it starts waking up, but
>it hangs with a black screen.

Same. Except mine doesn't hang, it just doesn't re-init the display.
Everything else is working fine though. Mine doesn't matter if it's
close the lid, FN-F4 or echo 3 >> /proc/acpi/sleep. All does the smae thing.

>4. USB-Bluetooth: When I use FN+F4 to disable bluetooth the kernel
>oopses (last tested with 2.6.5). I guess it is a bug in the driver
>itself?

FN+F5 perhaps? 2.6.5+ has a bug it seems in USB handling. 2.6.4 works
like a charm with USB bluetooth for me.

>5. Harddisk: I have seen a nice applet on the WinXP which shows the
>acceleration of the notebook. It stops the harddisk when you move the
>notebook to prevent a headcrash. Has anybody seen something like this
>for linux? Or did anybody try to get access on these sensors? I don`t
>think that this app is really necessary but on the other hand
>_everything_ which works under Win should work under linux ;)

Agreed.

>6. WLAN-LED: I read somewhere, that the LED in the lid does not work
>under linux. Any news about that?

Mine has the Intel chipset. The LED works, but that's about all... I
haven't managed to get the ipw2100 drivers working with anything yet
(ad-hoc not done yet sadly, but I can't get it work work with an AP either).

>7. Please excuse my bad english ;)

probably better than mine :)