[ltp] Some issues on R50p

Andre Timmermann linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 23 Apr 2004 19:48:15 +0200

Hi,

Am Fr, den 23.04.2004 schrieb Ivarsson, Torbjorn (T) um 16:36:

> You should be able to solve this by not including APIC (note: not the s=
ame as ACPI) in the kernel. This can be done during compilation of a kern=
el or by using the argument "noapic" during boot, though I have had much =
more success with the do-not-compile-APIC option.

I got the same proposal from Ren=E9, I will test it soon.

> > 3: Suspend to RAM: When I close the lid, the TP goes to bed ;) but id
>=20
> This sounds like a suspend/resume (to and from RAM) problem. I've been =
dealing a lot with with suspend/resume problems... It can be frustrating =
:) In my experience with an R40, ACPI is not there yet if you want to sus=
pend and resume. I use APM, it works much better.
>=20
> Does the same thing happen when you suspend (or go to bed) from a shell=
?  In regards to APM, I saw on the net that there is a difference between=
 suspending from a shell vs. suspending using Fn+F4 (or closing the lid).=
 It had to do with the order of suspend commands (who came first, BIOS or=
 kernel). The recommendation was to stick to shell suspending. Perhaps th=
e same thing is true for ACPI.

ACPI handles suspending different from APM. The ACPI-events are sent to
the acpid-deamon, which calls a shell script. So thee should be no
difference.

I have not tested APM on this machine, but I used APM on my TP600. I
think, the battery lasts longer with ACPI, because of better powersaving
algorithms. Additionaly the fan runs  more often with APM. I don't want
to switch back to APM ;)

> Personally, I disabled suspend-when-closing-lid in BIOS.
>=20
> > 4. USB-Bluetooth: When I use FN+F4 to disable bluetooth the kernel
>=20
> I believe Fn+F4 is the combination to tell BIOS to suspend? There may b=
e some conflict there. I don't have Bluetooth though, so I'm not sure.

Sorry, my fault. It is FN+F5. This switches of the power from the
built-in USB-bluetooth device.

Greetz,
Andre
--=20
Join the army! Travel the world, Meet interesting people, and kill them.