[ltp] Fn-Keys R40

Sebastian Kapfer linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 24 Apr 2004 14:57:16 +0200

--=-jBzvaXLOyEEv9+42bdFn

Am Fr, den 23.04.2004 schrieb Matt Graham um 22:30:
> On Friday 23 April 2004 16:17, after a long battle with technology, Pete=20
> Wright wrote:
> > Function F12 is suspend to disk, and that just aint gonna work I'm
> > afraid. There have been some reports of people having mixed success
> > with a software utility called swsusp, but it's really hit and miss
> > it seems. Getting that app to run in response to pressing a weird
> > (for Linux) key combination its going to be very tough indeed.
>=20
> If you're running X, and you need to execute an arbitrary program in=20
> response to a user-defined key combination, look at xbindkeys and/or=20
> gtk-xbindkeys.  Works great;

Well it doesn't for the function key on IBM laptops. The BIOS doesn't
seem to forward the keypress to the OS until after it has been released.
That makes it basically useless as a modifier key under X11. (R40
2722/GDG with latest BIOS here)

--=20
Best Regards,  | This signature is currently under construction.
 Sebastian     | Please check back later!

--=-jBzvaXLOyEEv9+42bdFn

--=-jBzvaXLOyEEv9+42bdFn--